What is a Happy, Healthy Nonprofit?
The Happy, Healthy Nonprofit is a manifesto for a culture shift in the nonprofit sector, starting conversations about the importance of individual self-care and WE-care in the workplace.
The Happy Healthy Nonprofit takes off where The Networked Nonprofit and Measuring the Networked Nonprofit left off — helping individuals and the nonprofit organizations where they work how to live and work in more sustainable ways.
The way we work in the nonprofit workplace and conduct our personal lives contributes to our feeling of being overworked and overwhelmed. This is all too common in the nonprofit sector, and it takes more than just a shift in mindset of funders, board members, nonprofit leaders and professionals, but also a fundamental culture shift toward supporting more sustainable ways of work and an attention to self-care.
Topics in the book include:
- Understanding the pillars of self-care for individuals or the Wellness Triad: sleep, nutrition, exercise
- Stress reduction techniques
- Managing technology and information overload
- Understanding and practicing different ways to work that replenish individual energy
- Effective team work habits and communication
- Productive and effective meetings including walking meetings
- Developing staff wellbeing plans as part of organizational strategy
- Incorporating Mindful and People-Centered Leadership techniques
- Ways to encourage individual and group reflection and learning
This book is a practical toolkit filled with concrete ideas, examples and steps for both individuals and organizations working on social change issues to achieve greater impact without burnout. We take on the outdated and unsustainable work ethic that plagues many nonprofits: a “Scarcity Mindset” leading to working long hours with few resources without investing in an organizational strategy of self-care.
We are on a mission to change the way we work in the nonprofit sector to avoid burnout, adopt personal self-care plans, and scale self-care within nonprofit organizations. We call it WE-care.
Want to Work with Us?
Hire Us for Webinars, Content & Consulting.